Monday, July 23, 2012

I survive the Tour de France

In Paris. Fabulous weather.We headed first to the Place de Vosges in honor of my friend Cara Black and her first book Murder in the Marais. It really is one of the loveliest squares in Europe!

Then we walked around the Isle de la Cite but declined to stand in line for hours to get into Notre Dame. I can remember the days when one just strolled into churches and sat in silence taking in the atmosphere. Not any more. Then we went to the Place de la Concorde to watch the finish of the Tour de France. John took one look at the crowd and fled to the hotel to watch it on TV. I decided this was a once in a lifetime experience so I stood and stood. For two hours actually! Since I have only just begun to walk again this was an obvious sign of insanity. But I wasn't going to miss the chance of experiencing this. And they went right by me--in a flash. You have no idea how fast they go. It was like watching a speeding blur. But I did see Bradley Wiggins clearly in hi yellow jersey. Rule Britannia! I tried to take pictures but my pictures are just a blur of color.

And at night we walked down the Champs Elysees and ate moules et frites in a busy seafood restaurant.
It's a tough life! More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment